Monday 21 May 2018

Websites

Keep It Simple

When looking at websites, I knew straight away that I’d want something simple and clean that efficiently displays my illustration. Although I really like more complex websites, such as those that Peter and Paul and Post-Spectacular Office have for their agency websites, I realise that these have been purpose built by a web developer, either in-house or freelance, that I simply don’t have access to or the ability to mirror with my own very basic web building skills.

However, contextually I don’t think I require something like this given that their websites need to show off what they can offer clients; a big part of which is webdesign/develop. In contrast to this my website only needs to depict my image making skills.




Therefore websites that I have been drawn to include: Owen Davey’s, Adam Higton’s, Iconori’s and Robert Beatty’s. This is because they all display they’re images on a plain white website that uses a grid system alongside plenty of negative space so as to clearly display the images that make up their practices without making the website feel too busy/cluttered.






Scrolling Websites

Furthermore, I think there has been a recent shift on practitioners websites to a scrolling system, whereby you can scroll down and view all the images that they have decided to include on there website in one space. For example I know that Optigram used to have a more complex, project by project based website, that included animated elements alongside heavy personal branding. However this has now been stripped down massively, to a white scrolling based website.


This is arguably a reflection of agents, art directors and potential commissioners having less time to view work and thus spending less time on an individual website; therefore a scrolling website allows for most efficient way to display your work to prospective clients. This is something I will need to bare in mind with my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment